Our History

Galena Park Assembly of God has an illustrious history dating back to 1929 making it one of the oldest Assembly of God churches in this area.

It all began with a few dedicated women who were hungry for more of God and His blessed Holy Spirit. After a period of time having prayer meetings in houses (and even a barber shop!), the ladies were able to acquire a tent for a camp meeting and many souls were saved and believers filled with the Holy Spirit.

The group grew until it was decided to build a church. This was accomplished and finally organized and set in order on March 3, 1929 as the Assembly of God Pentecostal Church.

There were a number of pastors over the next several decades and a name change to Galena Park Assembly of God. A new sanctuary and education building were built in 1962.  In November 1972, Rev. Vernon L. Guthrie and his family moved to Galena Park from Tulsa, Oklahoma to pastor the church. Pastor Guthrie and his family spent the next 45 years building the church through outreaches to the community. In 2008 Pastor Guthrie went home to be with the Lord, and his wife, Rev. Glenda Guthrie, was voted in as pastor. In the last 10 years the church has continued to be active in the community and Pastor Glenda carried the church through hard financial times.

In 2018 Pastor Glenda went home to be with the Lord. The church was stunned at this loss but our associate pastor, Rev. Joe Fee, stepped in and is carrying our church through this difficult time. In October 2018 Pastor Fee was unanimously voted in as our next pastor.

As we approach our 90th year in Galena Park, we look forward to everything God is doing in our church and our community.